#14 Amos & Andrew

#14 Amos & Andrew
Year: 1993
Director: E. Max Frye
MPAA Rating:  PG-13 
Epic Co-stars: Samuel L. Jackson, Dabney Coleman
Running Time: 96 mins.
Cage Time: 
Cage Kills/Deaths: 0/0
Cage Flip-outs: 3
James' Review: This movie lost $7 million dollars. I can see why.  I'll try to keep this short and sweet mostly for my own sake as I can't stand to think about it much longer.  Tears come to my eyes when I think of the potential for totally psychotic freak-out bliss I once imagined when thinking about this film.  Looking at the cover seeing Samuel L. Jackson and Nic Cage in their all too obvious characters I thought "these two together on the screen are a sure thing".  I now realize that I am an idiot.

Stale race commentary written for idiots: check.  Dumb honkeys that base all of their actions on ass-umptions: check.  Dumber cops that base all of their actions on the ass-umptions of dumb honkeys: check.  Comically racist dogs: check.  If all of these things sound good to you, then I'm happy that our blog has finally found it's target audience.  For those of you who don't like the sounds of this, please keep reading because A Year In The Cage is trying to become a little less "movie" and a little more "film".
I applaud the balls of this man.  He is willing to go anywhere or do anything for cinema, even when deep down inside he knows that someday in the future disrupting technologies will allow images like this to haunt him for the rest of his life.
Mr. Cage plays a bit of a ruffian in this film.  A poor schmuck  down on his luck that is targeted by the local authorities as an easy scapegoat for their moronic behavior.  He soon teams up with the minority who was originally wronged by them to ultimately outsmart them and blah blah blah blah blah blah blah, who the hell cares?  This movie was so stupid and boring that when watching it I felt somewhat jealous of my toddler who was sleeping peacefully upstairs.  The commentary was totally outdated even for 1993, and the writing completely muted anything and everything that Nic and Sam have since become  famous for doing.  This film was aimed to be a comedy that tackled larger issues, but instead turned out to be a genre-less pile of trash that poked more fun at the people who made it than those whom it tried to portray.  Total Horse Shit! 

Movie quotability: -4/5
  • "Fuck the first amendment."
  • "She looked 18..."
  • "I guess I wanted my family to be like ah" (hits joint) "a sea-monkey family."
  • "For all your talk, you are the whitest damn black man I've ever met."
  • N-word count: 4

Plot Holes:
  • It's acceptable for actors to be made up in black face in 1993.
  • A black guy in New England sets all the white people within a 5 mile radius into a crazed frenzy.  Once again, in 1993...
  • Every white person is racist.
  • In 1993, every person regardless of color is racist.  Even dogs.


CAGEamatic
Cinamatic
Skyler
Poor
Troll
Shauna
James
1.37/5.0
0.84/5.0
Martine
!Oblivious in the Cage!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I think Quotability should get a -4/5.

James Ayers said...

Done. I don't know if it really came through on my review or now so I'll just say it. I don't think this movie was very good. In fact, it was pretty bad. Actually, it was total horse shit.

Steve M said...

At first it looks like this movie is going to tackle a lot of stereotypes and develop some complex plot twists, but the script just never developed on them so the movie just dragged on and on.

I'm not sure what you mean about blackface. That typically refers to a white actor that portrays a black person, but that wasn't the case here. The deputy first puts blackening of some kind on his face then as an explanation says "It's a night op, chief." Later he is the only person Andrew sees so before Amos goes in to the house the chief rubs dirt on Amos' face so Andrew with think he's the same guy as before. Towards the end of the movie before the FBI busts in from the chopper the deputy is back at it again, but only because he's Rambo or something in his own mind.

Does the ferry really run all night long to the island? Why didn't the police put up a check point at the ferry? The VHS tape of the first interview is labeled prior to the taping, which could be normal procedure, but I would have thought it would be labeled after the taping is completed. Right before the freelance reporter confronts the chief with the recovered VHS tape the left lens of his glasses is missing, but then it reappears.

Both Cage and Jackson seemed a little subdued in the movie, it needed a little Pulp Fiction kick in the butt or something. *yawn*

Post a Comment